Interview Gelato Network | David Liebowitz
DeFi Interview Gelato Network | David Liebowitz
- Interview with David Liebowitz – 11 important questions about Gelato Network
- Gelato Network is a decentralized network of bots used by web3 developers to automate smart contract executions on public blockchains including Ethereum, Polygon, Fantom, and others. Learn more about this network in our Q & A session.
The Gelato Network automates your smart contracts!
Q & A with the David Liebowitz
- One of the best ways to better get to know a crypto project is to talk with that project’s founders and team members. DezentralizedFinance.com sat down with David Liebowitz, Head of Growth at Gelato Network to discuss the latest developments, news, token sale and upcoming launches from Gelato Network.
Q: Kindly introduce yourself and describe your Crypto journey and share the moment/reasons why you started to develop your project.
- David: My journey in crypto started at Everipedia. I was one of the founding team members and became a part of the project before it was even considered crypto 5 years ago. As they decided to pivot in that direction in 2017, I was pulled along for the ride and became heavily involved in getting partnerships, listed on exchanges, and more. I discovered Gelato in January of this year and knew it was a critical piece that was missing in the DeFi ecosystem. Now 8 months after joining as their Growth Lead, my original gut feeling was confirmed and major partnerships with the likes of Aave, Zerion, Instadapp and QuickSwap have come to fruition with them integrating Gelato automation in a variety of use cases.
Q: Describe your project/product – what value are you offering to the crypto ecosystem? What problems are you solving with your service?
- David: The Gelato Network is a protocol for automating smart contract executions. In the same way that Ethereum is general-purpose computational architecture in which any program can be built in the Ethereum Virtual Machine, Gelato is general-purpose automation and can automate any function of those programs where it is specified. Instead of projects having to run their own bot infrastructure, which is an endeavor in itself that requires time, resources, and risk, they can just hook up Gelato for it.
- For example, standard AMMs such as Uniswap are only capable of market orders because that is what the Uniswap smart contract strictly mandates. Building limit orders require bots to monitor and execute transactions under desired conditions. Gelato, on the other hand, was built to handle automation cases such as “if the price of ETH reaches 3000 DAI, then execute.” This is just one example, but you can apply automation to activities such as collateral protection, vault refinancing, top-offs, rebalancing, and much more!
Q: Can you introduce your team to the readers? What relevant experience do they have?
- David: Yes, the co-founders of Gelato, Hilmar and Luis, originally received a grant from Gnosis in 2019 which would eventually help ignite the beginnings of Gelato. They have been heads down building for two years and have truly laid the foundation for something special. The Gelato team is mostly made up of developers and their past experience ranges from cryptography to quant trading.
Q: How did you achieve your funding requirements, was it from a token sale exclusively, private funding, or were you granted?
- David: We had a mix of a builder round from the founders of top-tier projects, an investment round involving prominent VCs, and a token sale for the general public.
Q: Please describe the basics of your (governance) token model / tokenomics.
- David: Yes, the GEL token’s utility is two-fold. As the governance token of the Gelato DAO, GEL token holders will have a say in the future direction of the protocol. In addition, those who are interested in becoming executors (bots) in the Gelato network will have the opportunity to stake GEL in order to do so.
Q: In which stage are you with your project at the moment and what can we aspect in the next months? How is your strategy to grow your community?
- David: Our strategy is to connect with as many projects as possible to fulfill their automation needs. As more transactions become powered by Gelato, the protocol and its reach will organically grow. Through quality collaborations that have a substantial positive impact on our partners and their end-users, I have no doubt that Gelato will become a household name.
Q: Please share your mid-and long-term roadmap with our audience.
- David: Our long-term goal is to automate everything. We believe that in the near-future, 90% of the world will be powered by smart contracts and the overwhelming majority of smart contract interactions will not be done by humans. Gelato intends to become a significant market share of those transactions. This will happen with Gelato expanding to cater to the needs of a multichain world as well as incorporating real-world events to trigger transactions on-chain. In addition, Gelato will stay true to its web3 nature and become a fully on-chain DAO that directs the future of the protocol.
Q: What are you looking for at the moment (funding, talent, network, development, community building, etc.)?
- David: We are looking for developers to natively integrate us! If you are a project that needs anything from limit orders to Uniswap v3 liquidity to even simple cron jobs, Gelato can help speed your ship time by two months. Feel free to reach out to me on Telegram @davesaidthat.
Q: What is your thesis about DeFi, NFT/Gaming and Web 3.0 and what are you most excited about? What are the next roadblocks after scalability is solved – How important are tooling, development kits, applications and dashboards with a high UX?
- David: I am hoping to see crypto evolve by looking in and generating wealth through a circular economy. We are seeing this through the concept of “money legos” with DeFi applications plugging into each other’s functionalities. The next step in this regard would be to further this and plug into NFTs and games. I think UX is incredibly important for getting the next 100 million users onboarded to using blockchain applications.
We will know that we made it as an industry when people are using blockchain applications without even realizing it.
Q: What do you believe is the next big thing in crypto in 2022/2023
- David: I think the next big thing in crypto in the coming years is bringing in newcomers of all technical levels. Crypto will have its “made it” moment when people interact with platforms and don’t realize they are even crypto-native. I am very bullish on NFTs and see them continue to absorb culture as artists and creatives begin to produce and monetize more content. In addition, more on-ramps for everyday investors and institutions alike will be built for them to interact with DeFi protocols.
Q: How to get in contact with your team and your community?
- David: Please join our Telegram and Discord and follow us on Twitter!
Q: Thank you for your time and the great insights into the Gelato Network.
- David: You are welcome, thank you for the great chat.
Gelato Network Roadmap
Gelato Network important links to follow:
- Medium / Blog
- Gelato Whitepaper
- Gelato Network email: email@example.com
Gelato Network partnerships:
- Aave: Automated Health Factor Maintenance
- Furucombo: All-in-one transaction bundler
- Instadapp: One of the leading assets management
- KeeperDAO: A proxy volatility fund, providing backstop liquidity for on-chain lending and synthetic assets
- Polygon: Top Ethereum scaling project
- SpookySwap: The leading next-generation Layer 2 on Fantom
- SpiritSwap: The leading next-generation Layer 2 on Fantom
- Zerion: One of the most popular aggregators powering DeFi with 200K MOU
- QuickSwap: One of the largest DEXs on Polygon
Conclusion – Interview Gelato Network | David Liebowitz:
- We hope you enjoyed the Gelato Netowork interview with David Liebowitz.
- The vision of Gelato Network is to solve the issues of lacking reliability, sophistication, and centralization around dapps that want to offer automatic smart contract executions within and across multiple blockchain networks in the web3 ecosystem. That is a very innovative approach and the usage for smart-contract automation will be increasing rapidly in a Web 3.0 world, also cross-chain between different smart contracts layer 1 platforms. Building an automation bot infrastructure costs resources, risk and time and can be easily saved by using a provider like Gelato Network.
- We see the first interesting use case like order execution automation for AMMs such as Uniswap. This is just one example, but you can apply automation to activities such as collateral protection, vault refinancing, top-offs, rebalancing, and much more! Hopefully, we will see this bot automation in the future also cross-chain. We are very excited!
Gelato Network will play an important role in the future smart-contract-based Web 3.0 world!
- Find more valuable interviews at DezentralizedFinance.com in our category Interviews.
- RISK DISCLAIMER: All information presented above is meant for informational purposes only and should not be treated as financial, legal, or tax advice. This article’s content solely reflects the opinion of the writer, who is not a financial advisor. Do your own research before you purchase cryptocurrencies. Any cryptocurrency can go down in value, also to zero. Holding cryptocurrencies is very risky.